- Live CDs Analyzed
- Concert Reviews
- Newspaper Reviews
- Songs & Tours Reviewed
- You saw old Concerts?
- You saw new Concerts?
Home > Live CDs Analyzed > Live In Virginia versus The Hampton Roads Concert
Live In Virginia versus The Hampton Roads Concert
Live In Virginia (Vicky) [April 9, 1972, Hampton Roads, VA (Eve. Show)]
- an incomplete (see below) soundboard recording of good quality;
- 24 tracks in total, with a "Thank you, thank you very much" (following "See See Rider") running for 6 seconds only being a separate track (#3);
- three songs, namely the "I Got A Woman - Amen" medley plus "Never Been To Spain" and "You Gave Me A Mountain" are missing;
- the Closing Vamp is complete and the show ends with the "Elvis has left the building" announcement;
- the three cover photographs are not from Hampton Roads, but were taken during the afternoon show in Jacksonville, FL on April 16, 1972;
- the artwork is very basic, with a four page booklet featuring the above mentioned Jacksonville photographs on the front cover and a shot from Macon, GA (April 15, 1972 Evening Show) on the inside spread.
Running time: 56 min. 12 sec.
The Hampton Roads Concert (Triangle) [April 9, 1972, Hampton Roads, VA (Evening Show)]
- an incomplete (see below) soundboard recording of amazing sound quality (a huge improvement over the Vicky release);
- 23 tracks in total, with "I Got A Woman - Amen" medley plus "Never Been To Spain" and "You Gave Me A Mountain" are still missing;
- the Closing Vamp is slightly edited (see below), most likely due to original tape damage (painfully audible on "Live In Virginia");
- the artwork and design are simply stunning; the enveloped CD is housed inside a gate-folded LP-like cover accompanied by a 40-page booklet (giving a comprehensive overview of the April tour and the entire "Elvis On Tour" project), and if that was not enough there are an OBI strip and a reprint of an official MGM's "Elvis On Tour" press book, too; the only flaw to the otherwise flawless package would have to be the fact that the picture used on the front cover is not from Hampton Roads but from Knoxville, TN (April 8, Evening Show), whereas the (big) one used on the back cover has been identified as Jacksonville, FL (Evening Show); yet the main artwork does include a Hampton Roads shot and that is the picture disc; on a side note, there are many more pictures from both Hampton Roads and Knoxville interweaving in the booklet as Elvis used the same jumpsuit (the Blue Nail) on both occasions, however with a different belt to match.
Running time: 56 min. 00 sec.
- an incredible show given by Elvis and the band;
- the concert was filmed by the MGM crew as part of the "Elvis On Tour" documentary;
- also available on "The Hampton Concert" (Luna Records) and "Suspicious Minds - Unauthorised" (Grapefruit).
Running time differences
|Live In Virginia||24. Closing Vamp 1 min. 17 sec.|
|The Hampton Roads Concert||23. Closing Vamp 1 min. 05 sec.|