- Live CDs Analyzed
- Concert Reviews
- Newspaper Reviews
- Songs & Tours Reviewed
- You saw old Concerts?
- You saw new Concerts?
Home > Live CDs Analyzed > A New Live Experience vs Downtown Long Beach
A New Live Experience vs Downtown Long Beach
A New Live Experience (MAC Records) [November 15, 1972, Long Beach, CA, 8:30 PM Show]
- an audience recording of very good sound quality;
- a complete show;
- 26 tracks in total, with track #01 not being a part of the Long Beach show (see below)
- the CD starts with a fake Announcement/Introduction track that precedes the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" opening theme;
- featured on the CD are some on the spot right-after-the-show fan comments, with Al Dvorin's souvenir / "Elvis On Tour"/ "Separate Ways" LP / "Aloha From Hawaii" announcement heard in the background;
- pretty poor artwork, with a black-and-white (sometimes blue) 4-page booklet featuring short liner notes, the November '72 tour schedule, musicians/vocalist as well as the producers' credits;
- the picture used on the front cover (1st pressing of the CD) comes from neither the Long Beach show, nor the November tour as the photograph was taken in Greensboro, NC on April 14, 1972 and Elvis is wearing the Royal Blue Fireworks/Awl Suit (the suit was also worn in San Bernardino, CA on November 13, 1972).
Running time: 65 min. 39 sec.
Downtown Long Beach (Touchdown Productions) [November 15, 1972, Long Beach, CA, 8:30 PM Show]
- an audience recording of very good audio quality;
- surprisingly, the sound on "Downtown Long Beach" seems a tiny bit inferior to what "A New Live Experience" offered almost 20 years ago;
- the show is complete, however the after show announcements are not (see below);
- 25 tracks in total (no fake intro or the lengthy, yet quite insightful, after-show fan comments);
- very good artwork and design; the 16-page booklet features many photographs taken during the November '72 tour (quite a few of them taken on Nov. 15), an essay describing the show and the tour, a November 1972 Valley News review of the concert, and standard musicians/vocalists credits;
- the cover photograph was not taken in Long Beach on November 15, 1972 but in Honolulu on November 17 of the same year; however, the booklet does feature several pictures taken during the show (the Saturn suit ones) as does the picture disc.
Running time: 55 min. 24 sec.
Running time differences:
|"A New Live Experience"|
|01. Announcer/Introduction (fake)||4 min. 28 sec.|
|02. 2001||1 min. 14 sec.|
|03. C C Rider||2 min. 58 sec.|
|25. Closing Riff||0 min. 49 sec.|
|26. Announcer/Fan Comments||5 min. 44 sec.|
|15 min. 13 sec.|
|"Downtown Long Beach"|
|01. Also Sprach Zarathustra||1 min. 43 sec.|
|02. See See Rider||2 min. 28 sec.|
|25. Closing Vamp/Announcements||1 min. 31 sec.|
|5 min. 42 sec.|
- a very good show featuring a lot of singing and not much talking;
- no rare songs were performed, yet the set list was quite a good mixture of both classics and (more) recent material;
- Elvis dedicates the show to Lisa Marie, who was in the audience that night;
- the three Honolulu shows which concluded the November 1972 tour were a "stage rehearsal" of sorts before the January 14, 1973 "Aloha From Hawaii" satellite concert;
- the show was first released on "Return To Long Beach" (Tiger Records ) in 1992.