- Live CDs Analyzed
- Concert Reviews
- Newspaper Reviews
- Songs & Tours Reviewed
- You saw old Concerts?
- You saw new Concerts?
Home > Live CDs Analyzed > America's Own Vol.1, Vol 2 vs America's Own (Ampex)
America's Own Vol.1, Vol 2 versus America's Own (Ampex)
America's Own (Vol. 1) (Elvis Mania Sound) [July 19 1975 (2:30 pm)]
- Audience recording
- Very good sound quality, seemingly transferred from a vinyl copy of the same title (as released by Geneva Records in 1979), with typical 'needle' sounds throughout).
- The show is not complete (the 1979 2LP set was) as it is missing the introductions and the band member solos (except James Burton's Johnny B. Goode and the orchestra's School Day)
- Pretty basic artwork (4 pages only, all in black and white).
Running time: 69 min. 36 sec.
America's Own, Vol. 2 (Claudia Record Company) [July 19 1975 (8:30 pm)]
- an incomplete (see below) audience recording;
- very good sound quality (though a bit more "distant" than on Vol. 1).
- no vinyl noises present (as was the case with Vol. 1).
- 27 tracks in total;
- the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" opening theme is missing;
- introductions of Charlie Hodge and Voice are missing;
- bits of dialog after "You'll Never Walk Alone" are missing;
- pretty poor artwork (just a single double-sided card)
Running time: 71 min. 57 sec.
America's Own (Ampex) [July 19 1975 (2:30 pm) & highlights from the 8:50 pm show ]
- Audience recording.
- Very good sound quality but not as good as on America's Own, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (it seems less natural and more 'digital' here).
- The afternoon show is complete (except for "a brief segment between the bass and piano solos") including all the introductions and solos absent on the Elvis Mania Sound release plus the "Elvis has left the building" announcement);
- The evening show is not complete, only the highlights are included;
- Great artwork/booklet (with informative liner notes accompanied by photographs from the shows in question).
- The afternoon show is split in two parts: 67 min. 29 sec. (disc 1) and 10 min. 48 sec. (disc 2), although the whole show (78 min. 27 sec.) would fit onto one disc.
Running time (disc one): 67 min. 29 sec.
Running time (disc two): 50 min. 59 sec.
Running time (afternoon show): 78 min. 17 sec.
Running time (evening show highlights): 40 min. 11 sec.
Differences between Elvis Mania Sound's "America's Own, Vol. 1" and Ampex's "America's Own" (disc one, afternoon show):
|America's Own (Vol. 1)||America's Own (Disc 1)|
|14. Burning Love 3:02||14. Burning Love 3:15|
|15. Johnny B. Goode 0:48||15. Introductions 3:05|
|16. School Day 1:12||16. Johnny B. Goode 0:53|
|17. T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:31||17. Chickin' Pickin' 0:59|
|18. Drum Solo 1:21|
|19. Bass Solo 0:49|
|20. Piano Solo 1:20|
|21. Introductions (continued) 0:34|
|22. School Day 1:12|
|23. T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:33|